Rules for visitors
Wigry National Park’s Director’s Order
Director’s order no. 3/2006
Concerning availability of Wigry National Park’s area for touristic, scientific, recreational and sports purposes.
On the basis of article 102 of Nature Conservation Act from April 16, 2004 and the Council of Ministers’ order from March 6, 1997 concerning Wigry National Park, I order what follows:
1. The order determines the terms of making the area administered by Wigry National Park available for tourism, scientific research, educational, recreational and sports activity.
2. The order does not concern:
a) areas under scenic protection, not being administered by the park;
b) persons carrying out official and managerial duties, including: staff of the park, persons supervising and controlling the park’s activity, persons controlling upholding the law concerning nature and landscape conservation, persons conducting rescue operations and general security actions and persons going the shortest way to their grounds being enclaves among the areas administered by the park.
1. Staying and practicing land tourism is permitted all year long only on marked forest roads, tourist and educational trails, public roads and in the park’s tourist and educational facilities.
2. Water tourism is permitted from May 1 to October 31 on lakes: Wigry (excluding islands), Pierty (excluding island), Postaw, Leszczewek, Omułówek, Mulaczysko, Czarne near Bryzgiel, Czarne near Gawrych Ruda, and on Czarna Hańcza river within the borders of the park between the villages of Czerwony Folwark and Studziany Las.
3. The lakes mentioned in point 2. when frozen, are available for tourism and winter sports.
4. Dates and rules of plying of passenger boat on lake Wigry are negotiated with the park’s director.
5. Staying in areas available for tourism is permitted from sunrise to sunset. This does not concern: crews of sailboats mooring in marked places,
participants of sleigh rides,
persons staying on camping sites and other park’s lodgings.
6. In justified cases the park’s director can give permission to enter the areas excluded from tourism, determining the date and terms of the entry.
7. In cases requiring providing security or resulting from the needs of nature conservation, the park’s director can temporarily ban entry to all available area of the park or a part of it.
Rules of staying and practicing tourism in the area of the park are determined as follows:
a) vehicles with combustion engines can move only on public roads;
b) vehicles with combustion engines can stop only on marked car parks;
c) narrow-gauge rail can run between the villages of Płociczno and Krusznik on terms negotiated with the park’s director;
d) sleigh rides are allowed on unmarked forest roads after settling the route with a local forest ranger.
e) camping is allowed only on camping sites „Jastrzęby”, „Gremzdówka”, „Za szkołą” and „Bindużka”;
f) making fires and using open fire is allowed only on camping sites and marked resting places: “Dziupla” in Krzywe and Powały clearing. During the lingering of snow cover during organised sleigh rides making fires is allowed in other places after settling the location and date with a local forest ranger;
g) using open fire on tourist and educational trails is banned. The ban does not concern using torches during sleigh rides;
h) smoking cigarettes on educational and tourist trails and on available water bodies is allowed;
i) During the highest (third) degree of fire risk in the forest making fires, smoking cigarettes and using open fire is strictly forbidden;
Rules of staying and practicing tourism in the area of the park’s water bodies are determined as follows:
a) using internal-combustion engines is forbidden;
b) sailing in areas overgrown by water plants (reeds and plants with floating leaves) is forbidden;
c) on lake Wigry crossing the line of 20 meters from the border of water plants (reeds) zone is forbidden on a stretch from estuary of Czarna Hańcza in the Hańczańska bay to the Łysocha peninsula. From June 14 crossing the line of 20 meters from the border of water plants (reeds) zone is forbidden around islands Ordów, Ostrów, Krowa, Brzozowych and Kamień and along the southern shore of lake Wigry from the promontory on the inlet between Krowa and the shore to the Jastrzębia bay.
d) mooring of boats is allowed only by existing moors and lake shores not covered with plants and available for fishing;
e) rules of amateur fishing are stated in an individual order of the park’s director.
1. Conducting scientific research in the park’s area requires permission from the park’s director.
2. Person conducting research is obliged to settle with the park’s director the aim of the research, time of its realization, places and methods and form of handing over the results of the research.
3. Conducting research including collecting protected species of organisms requires permission from an organ responsible for conservation issues.
1. Fees for the entry to the park (as well as diving, photographing and
filming) are determined by an individual order of the park’s
2. The fee is waived for:
a) children under 7 years
b) persons with director’s permission to conduct scientific research
c) schoolchildren and students participating in educational classes accepted by the park’s director
d) citizens of communes: Suwałki, Krasnopol, Nowinka, Giby and Szypliszki;
e) persons staying on the “Krzywe” beach by lake Czarne;
f) persons heading towards places of religious cult.
1. Diving in the park’s waters with the use of oxygen respirator can take place after obtaining permission from the park’s director and paying diving fee
2. Dates, places and terms of diving with the use of oxygen respirator must be settled with the park’s director.
3. Divers are forbidden to carry any equipment used for hunting and fishing.
4. The park’s director can waive a fee for diving persons after an agreement for providing by them services for the park.
The rules of filming and photographing in the park are as follows:
1. Filming and photographing in the area available for tourism is free of charge.
2. Filming and photographing in the area not available for tourism requires permission from the park’s director and paying an appropriate fee.
3. The park’s director can waive a fee for photographing or filming person after an agreement for free using the copies of films or photographs by the park.
Organization of sports and recreational events with more than 40 participants requires permission from the park’s director.
An integral part of this order is an appendix-map including:
a) areas administered by the park being under strict or partial protection,
b) roads, routes, paths, car parks and other tourist facilities,
c) water bodies available for tourism, together with restricted and banned areas.
Guiding services can be provided by persons licensed according to Tourist Services Act and having permission from the park’s director.
The order no. 11/98 of Wigry National Park’s director from 26.11.1998 concerning the rules of practicing tourism in the area of Wigry National Park (Dz. Urz. Woj. Suw. Nr 66 poz. 444 and nr 70 poz. 481) and decision no. 1/2002 of Wigry National Park’s director from 02.01.2002 concerning the rules of photographing and filming in the park and charges for those actions are no longer effective.
The order becomes legally valid in the day of signing.